Thursday, February 7, 2008

Aaloo Tamaatar - the all time favorite!

One of my all time favorite vegetables is the "Aaloo tamatar ki rase waali sabzee" i.e. Potato and Tomato curry. I remember, as a child, I used to go to my neighbor's house just to have puri and this sabzee. I have not had the aloo-tamatar as tasteful ever!

I relentlessly keep trying and I have come pretty close. May be, one day my "Aloo tamatar will be as good as how "Amma Ji" used to make :)

Ingredient
1. Boiled and hand mashed Potatoes - 3/4 Medium Size
2. Chopped Tomatoes - 2
3. Chopped Onions - 1
4. Green Chillies - 2
5. Red Chillies - 2
6. Garlic and Ginger mince - 1 tsp
7. Red Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
8. Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
9. Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
10. Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
11. Cumin - 1/2 tsp
12. Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
13. Salt to taste

Method
1. In a wok, heat some oil
2. Add the cumin, mustard seeds and red chillies
3. As mustard starts to splutter, add the garlic and ginger and saute some more
4. Add onions and fry till golden yellow
5. Add the spices from 7 to 10 and salt. Mix well
6. Next add in the chopped tomatoes and let the mixture simmer in low heat, under cover for 2-3 minutes
7. Add the Potatoes and mix well. Cook on low heat for another 2 minute, before adding 1 cup of water
8. Let the vegetable simmer for 4-5 minutes and cook on low heat, until desired consistency is reached.
Garnish with Coriander and Green Chillies. Heat hot with Chapatis... I will!

No comments: